Giving voice to the unspeakable – international conference 2023
It is a pleasure to invite you to "Giving voice to the unspeakable: Artistic interventions in Holocaust and Human Rights museums in Norway and Poland." This conference is organized by POLIN Museum of the history of Polish Jews and The HL-Senteret, The Norwegian Center for Holocaust and Minority Studies, and will take place on March, 29-30 2023.
- Deadline for submission: 17 February 2023
- Applications: submit your abstract of 300 words for a 20‐minute paper, along with a short CV, to [email protected]
This conference will focus on the current tendency among museum and heritage institutions to host artistic interventions as means of addressing or giving voice to difficult, ignored, or unacknowledged histories. Topics such as relevance, benefits and challenges related to artistic intervention as a curatorial strategy will be on the agenda. The conference will open with a keynote address given by Friso Roscam-Abbing, adviser on communication FRA European Agency for Fundamantal Rights, who will present action points and outcomes of the FRA’s contributions in the field of arts and human rights in Europe.
Artists, academics, and museum/memorial site professionals are welcome to submit papers that touch upon the following issues:
- What characterizes artistic interventions as a communicative tool?
- Which theoretical and methodological frameworks are applicable?
- How do artistic interventions work in museum and heritage sites?
- What kinds of impact may they have on existing narratives?
- What are their potentials and limitations?
- And how might they be used to engage with and expand target audiences?
Following the conference, POLIN Museum of the History of Polish Jews and The HL-Senteret, The Norwegian Center for Holocaust and Minority Studies, will publish the accepted conference papers along with key findings and highlights.
If you wish to present a conference paper, please submit your abstract of 300 words for a 20‐minute paper, along with a short CV, to [email protected]
Deadline for submission: 17 February 2023
Notification of acceptance: 24 February 2023
Deadline for final paper submission: 20 March 2023
When: 29-30 March 2023
Where: HL-Senteret, The Norwegian Center for Holocaust and Minority Studies, Huk Aveny 56, Bygdøy, Norway
For any enquiries, please contact [email protected]