19th Millennium Docs Against Gravity: Film "Babi Yar. Context" – film and meeting with Sergei Loznitsa
Sergei Loznitsa’s latest virtuoso, deeply troubling archival documentary reveals the context of genocide of 33,771 Jews in the Babi Yar ravine. After showing of the film he will also talk about his work as director.
- 14 May (Saturday), 4 PM
- Tickets: 20 PLN, BUY A TICKET >>
On September 29–30, 1941, Einsatzgruppe C, assisted by two battalions of the Police Regiment South and the Ukrainian Auxiliary Police, shot dead 33,771 Jews in the Babi Yar ravine in the North-West of Kiev, Ukraine. This title card appears in the very middle of Sergei Loznitsa’s latest virtuoso, deeply troubling archival documentary, its placement perfectly illustrating the approach laid out in the title: if grasping such a horrific atrocity is impossible, any understanding of it can only be gained through context.
"Babi Yar. Context"
- Ukraine, The Netherlands, France 2021, 121 min
- Directed by: Sergei Loznitsa
- Cinematography by: archives
- Producer: Sergei Loznitsa, Maria Choustowa
- Production: Atom & Void, Baby Yar Holocaust Memorial Center
- Selected festivals and awards: 2021 – Cannes IFF: Best Doc Award; 2021 – IDFA Amsterdam; 2021 – London FF